Thursday, April 05, 2007

Quotes and Words of the Week

The words will be ones that interest me, whether from glancing through the dictionary, or from my weekly readings, or from my paltry storehouse of words I keep in my head.

The quote will either be something that someone says or something that I read that I think is particularly noteworthy or funny.

The current quote, in context, came from a second year law student in my Constitutional Law class. The professor asked him to recite the Supreme Court decision Skinner v. Oklahoma (1942) which shot down an Oklahoma statute allowing for the sterilization of "habitual criminals." The plaintiff had stolen some chickens and then committed two other armed robberies. When the professor asked the student about the case, the student immediately said, "Well, the plaintiff was stealing chickens . . . so naturally, the state wanted to sterilize him.” The entire room of eighty-five law students busted up laughing. It took a little while for the professor to return order to the chaos.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home